To celebrate today being a Labor Daybor!
To celebrate today being a Labor Daybor!
If Saul Bass did the title sequence for Game of Thrones (with the smooth jazz theme song cover by Scott Bradlee)
Some of the awesome legends created by Nintendo, The legend of Zelda.
School began, wish you the best !
Bonne rentrée à tous !
I already have three or four apps on my iTouch for datamoshing photos, but I am a sucker for a well-conceived trailer.
He thought he was invincible
Holy shitttt these white children REALLY need to stop fucking around
I JUST STOOD UP FROM MY CHAIR AND APPLAUDED
IF YOU DO SHIT LIKE THIS, LIFE IN PRISON IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU DESERVE.
YOU HEAR ME, YOU SHIT STAINS?
IF YOU DO THIS YOU ARE A TERRORIST AND DESERVE NO PITY.
How Cecil thinks Carlos does science:
How Carlos actually does science:
In the heart-wrenching reverse-dystopian novel by Jillian Cantor, Searching for Sky, a teenage girl is yanked from her seemingly blissful life on a desert island where she was raised, and into a hostile, modern world—ours! We asked some of our staffers in the U.S. office to bring in some items that they insist they need to survive in the modern world. Here are the things they say they can’t live without!
(clockwise, from top left)
1. Emily Ritter (Trade Marketing Coordinator): “What can’t ice cream do? It’s the perfect balm for when you’re feeling down and the ultimate way to celebrate success. There’s no way I could live without my biggest, most delicious, life-motivator!”
2. Caroline Osborn (S&L Marketing Coordinator): “Sometimes, I like to make my own music. Other times, I leave it to a professional. Either way, my trusty ukulele represents the thrill and catharsis of the accessible live music that I enjoy in New York City, whether it comes from a favorite band on tour, a street performer encountered by chance, or myself alone in my bedroom.”
3. Courtney Griffin (Publicist): “I can’t live without lipstick because different shades can reflect different moods. It can be neutral on any old day, bright if you’re feeling bold, and dark if you’re daring or even feeling a little sad. Or, it doesn’t have to mean anything—it can just be lots of fun (and sparkly!).”
4. Sarah Shumway (Senior Editor): “Who needs paper or plastic at the store when you can carry a cute and compact bag like this? It’s green, it makes a statement, and it’s also handy for hauling snacks and books. This one is from my hometown indie bookstore, DDG .”
5. Linette Kim (S&L Marketing Manager): “This little card is amazing. Monthly unlimited public transportation to the office, to church, to my favorite museums and libraries—even the beach? YES PLEASE. It’s my ticket to everywhere in NYC.”
6. Hali Baumstein (Assistant Editor): “My sweet tooth cannot be ignored. A little chocolate goes a long way to keep me going each day!”
7. Brett Wright (Associate Editor): “I can’t operate as a human without coffee. It’s simple, really: After one sip, I feel better instantly. After two sips, I feel normal. After three, I’m ready to be productive and social. If I was on a deserted island without coffee, I’d probably just stay there forever, unable to think of a way off without a caffeinated system.”
8. Derrick Kennelty-Cohen (Marketing Designer): “I can’t imagine life without a pen and paper. There are too many ideas that need to be jotted down before being forgotten, too many plans that need to be drawn out so they can be realized, too many funky-fresh rhymes that need to be rehearsed before your next rap battle. Write a note in the sand and the wind and surf will wipe it away. Write it in a pocket-sized notebook and you’re good to go. Unlined, preferably, because where we’re going we don’t need rules.”
9. Laura Whitaker (Associate Editor) cannot live without hot sauce because it keeps her taste buds happy. And considering that she just (potentially incorrectly) learned from a commercial that the life span of a taste bud is ten days, she would like to treat hers to the fine life while they are around.
10-13. Mary Kate Castellani (Senior Editor)*:
10. “This one is pretty obvious. Headaches happen. Be prepared.”
11. “Crayons always make me think of fresh starts and simpler, easier times. The smell of crayons just brings me back to that first day of school when things were exciting and new. I hardly ever make time to color, but when I do it’s amazingly therapeutic.”
12. “I am obsessed with fresh breath! I chew gum after every meal, every cup of coffee, every snack. I would be totally grumpy without gum.”
13. “My piano teacher insisted that all her students keep their nails short and trim so there was no clacking when we played. So I’ve always felt the need to keep my nails perfectly filed and short, and now that I sit at a computer all day typing away it’s nice to look at pretty nails as I go!”
*Mary Kate is the editor of Searching for Sky and therefore has thought a lot about surviving life in the modern world!
What’s one item you can’t survive without in the modern world?
I’ve got a lot of quirky sketches, half-written song lyrics, and interview notes in that particular notebook.